To continue my non television related hokum, I will talk a little more about men in shorts.. (Spoiler Alert) They. Are. Great.
I mean soccer brings “da feelz” out of people/athletes in ways that are quite rare in our society. Perhaps because the sport seems operatic on some level. The intermingling of power and finesse, players moving harmoniously, all while spectators take it all in, holding our breath for the exciting climax… Best opera ever right? Another reason for its greatness can be summed up in the oddly appropriate adage “It’s not over till the fat lady sings”. Boy has that been the case this cup. But I’m not writing to post about match specifics (though I still mourn the loss of Mexico, Nigeria, and the US’s tough exits), Instead, I will showcase the moments, emotions, (and yes hotness) through it’s purest form — The slightly doctored photograph.
Creativity..emotion…rhythm. Team Ghana
The real reason to become head of a country – Angela Merkel after a long day saving the EU from it’s own demise, why not kick back with 20 half naked footballers? Should be a required perk of the job.
So, I wasn’t able to watch the Brazil-Germany match, but certainly didn’t believe the internet when it said it was 5-0 of halftime!?Was this a baseball game or a soccer match with two supposed soccer super powers? Perhaps it had something to do with Neymar being injured, but sounds more like a complete defensive collapse for the home team. As always, twitter is a saving grace for such occasions. Here were come classic tweets.
- This is just brutal and I can’t take this N eymar #worldcup
- Brazil did Nazi this coming (so bad, yet I had to laugh)
- Germany Mullered Brazil
- Neymar be like “put me in coach”
Top three Keepers I want to Keep per myself
And here is the highly esteemed award for best Jersey (Kit) (Because how they look is as important as how they play)
#James Rodriguez #Never Forget
To conclude. You know this has been the best world cup, when it somehow includes a list of Menchabench’s favorite things (just like Oprah’s but with 100% less cars giveaways).
- My main man from US presidential history, Teddy Roosevelt* (whom I may have read multiple 1000 page biographies) became the impromptu USMNT mascot courtesy of one Chicago Ad man who thought “Speak Softly, and carry the ‘Ole Oles’ to a US win!”
- The fact that the 2nd most popular chant comes from my future husband/Johnny Depp Burton double Jack White. Based on the guitar riff (most people think it bass. Most people are wrong.) from The White Stripes hit “Seven Nation Army”. http://deadspin.com/5875933/how-the-song-seven-nation-army-conquered-the-sports-world/1593819675/+barryap
- Luis Suarez had Karma rear it’s head when the “chomp hear round the world”, led to his ejection from the tourney. I may not have paid attention to you since last cup, but I still remember publicly crying some fugly tears after Ghana’s loss due to your purposeful handball to stop sure goal. Vengeance is sweet, and apparently tastes like human.
- Not often someone with my racial make-up gets the global spotlight. So when you just happen to be half black/german with roots in Chicago and come off the bench in the 80th minute to score a winning goal for the biggest tournament in the world (a dream I might have replicated way back in middle school), it’s hard not to be totally be in awe of John Brooks and his life defining moment. Also, if Mr. Brooks happens to be part Cuban, then I think I may have found a long lost relative.
*For anyone who doesn’t have intimate knowledge of the most badass president known to me, y’all should take an hour and breath in is his magnificence. Not only did he conquer asthma, provide the first (American) integrated units, grow a sexy mustache, become a cowboy just for fun, and bust trusts like it was nobody’s business. He also survived an assassination attempt mid-speech, and managed to finish said speech with a bullet that would remain in his chest for the rest of days. Oh yeah, and something something about third party ticket blah blah… HE RODE A FRIGGIN MOOSE. EFF YEA!
FINALLY – Since this blog is about the meshing of Eastern and Western cultures try this on for size – Korea played Algeria (Asia vs Africa) in South America, where I watched in America. Clash of cultures and then some! Aishe, with that ending bit of rubbish I believe I’ve gone all Talking Heads and Stopped Making Sense. Back with more drama craziness next week!